How To Write The First Draft Of A Novel


Hey there, welcome back to my creative zone. I am Anasua Ghosh, the author of three published novels, a blogger, writing coach, mentor, and an avid reader. I have been writing for a long time to understand some of the writers’ worries and concerns. Writing the first draft of a novel is one of the worries which writers frequently go through. The worry increases if you are writing the first draft of a novel for the first time in your life. 

In this post, I am going to explain to you how to write the first draft of a novel. So, stay with me and tolerate me for a time being. 

Writing The First Draft Of A Novel

You will find ample novel first draft tips to get started with. However, some of the tips might be a little overwhelming for first-time writers. If you have never written a book before, you may not understand the preciousness of interviewing a character (three published novels later, I still don’t understand). If you are writing a book for the first time, you may not understand what does it mean when the writers say – you write a first draft word by word. So, the aesthetic aside, we are going to bite the bullet of writing the first draft of a novel together. 

Before getting started with the tips, let me explain a few things quickly. 

  1. The first draft is actually a rough draft
  2. The first draft does suck (maybe not the entire first draft but some of it will suck)
  3. You write the first draft to understand the story

So, that being said, let’s tackle the novel first draft tips one by one.   

Write It

Well, yes, you need to write it. The best thing about the first draft of a novel is that you don’t have to think too much. I usually tell in my writing workshops to go ahead and just write it. The first draft is the fun ride time. You get the luxury of writing whatever is in your mind. Some writers call it the idea dump session for this reason. 

Remember that your first draft, no matter who says what, is not the final book. It should not see the light of the day without at least two rounds of rewriting or editing. This one is for your eyes only. Therefore, you have the liberty to write your heart out. Don’t stop. Don’t hesitate. Don’t even question. Just write it down.

Don’t Edit

At least don’t edit while you are writing the first draft. It is one of the basic novel first draft tips which I can give you. I had the habit of editing while I wrote the first drafts of my books. It got me nowhere. I stared at the pile of unfinished books which demanded that I finish writing them. But I could not because writing and editing simultaneously delayed the process and eventually I used to lose my passion. Added to this, was my habit of pantsing. Everything together used to push me toward dead ends. Therefore, don’t edit while you are writing. Just get the words down on paper and then once you are done, you can always edit. 

Keep All Your Data Within Reach

I tell everyone to keep a small notebook within reach while they are writing their first draft. I always do this because I am not very good at remembering the sidekicks’ names. Even if your MC’s mother appears only twice in the story, you still need to get her name right. It will be embarrassing to call her Nina in the second chapter and then Flora in the last one. So, keep a name log and keep the log within reach. And please go the old-fashioned way here and use a paper notebook and pen. You can carry this with you and think on paper whenever you feel like it. There is something way too romantic about writing a novel manually, at least a part of it. 

Set Time For Writing

Most of the first drafts don’t see The End because of procrastination. The first draft of a novel can be difficult to write because you are starting from a scratch. It is tough to take a blank sheet of paper and build a world on it. At times the fire fades. So, you may not feel like writing every day. Yet, you have to. You have to push yourself forward and keep going no matter what. If you want to finish your first draft, you need to set time for writing. Be protective of this particular time. You don’t have to set an unrealistic time target that you cannot meet. Set aside 15 mins every day. You will be amazed at how much progress you can make during that time.

Start Small

The same goes for your word count target. Don’t have 3000 words per day target. We all know that it will be difficult to meet this. Rather have a small 300 words target. If you are not getting paid for your book right now, you don’t have to finish it within 3 months, right? So, give yourself time and allow the book to flourish slowly. 

Lastly, I will suggest not to discuss your plot with anyone before you are done with your book. Even if you are too excited about it, keep the lid tight for a while. You have no idea how encouraging some individuals can be. Even a single negative word can kill the passion you are feeling for your book. Trust me, I know this from experience. So, write the first draft of your novel in secrecy.   

Okay, so with this I am going to wrap it up. I will be back with more on writing soon. Till then, have fun and write more. 

Comments