3 Writing Tips Which Don't Make Sense

 


Hello, welcome back to my creative zone. I am Anasua Ghosh. I am an author, reader, blogger, mentor, and writing coach. If you are looking for creative writing tips to boost your novel writing skills, you have come to the right place.  

In this post, I am going to speak about 3 writing tips that never made any sense to me. So, without any further delay, let’s get started. Because this is going to be one of those unpopular opinions, I will request you all to understand that the tips I am going to speak about here are the ones that never made any sense to me. They may be your favorite and I respect your opinion. So, that being said, let’s jump into it.

Write What You Know

Since the day I started writing to get published, I have frowned upon this particular advice. Come on guys, how do you always write what you know? I can understand that the literary writers doing it. But how the fantasy, sci-fi, and thriller writers will write what they know? These genres are not about boring people going to boring places after all. The thriller novels, fantasy & sci fi books lean heavily on imagination. How do you know about your imagination before you start exploring the unknown? The advice should be to know what you want to write (in my opinion).

Show Don’t Tell

When we were kids, we used to stay up the night listening to our grandmothers telling us stories beginning with Once Upon A Time There Was A King/Queen. We all remember it, right? This is telling not showing. We are storytellers, not story showers. The art of storytelling demands a balance between telling and showing. You are writing a book, not making a movie. So, there will be some storytelling, right? Think about it. 

Interview Your Characters

You will come across this a lot. The super aesthetic advice, interview your characters. Well, how do you do that? I mean I get it that your characters are people and they need a life. But how do you sit and interview a character? This writing never, and I mean never made any sense to me. It still does not. Writing a book is both fun and critical. But you don’t need to add to the difficulty by trying to stand out from the crowd. I get the picture. It is amazingly appealing to sit with a notebook in a cafĂ© with a thoughtful expression on your face, and the moment someone asks – ‘what are you doing?’ you frown and turn to them and mumble – ‘I am interviewing my characters.’ In other words, you are procrastinating and not writing or reading, or plotting your story. 

With this, I am gonna wrap this rant. I will be back soon with more on writing. I am writing a psychopath thriller currently. I will come up with updates on my book as well. 

Till then

Keep writing 

Comments